Thursday, July 30, 2009

Always, always, knock on wood!


So yesterday, K.H., Db and I were traveling from one netting spot to another. To take a shortcut, we took the Pony Express, which is a gravel road that covers the same route as the old time Pony Express. This road is notorious for flat tires. We made a pit stop at the Simpson Springs monument, an old stop on the express, to act like tourists and take a break. As we get back into our vehicles, K.H. says, "Eight wheels still good." Or something along those lines (we had two vehicles). I then said to Db, "Actually I'm pretty surprised we haven't had any flat tires so far this summer." Horrified that I may have cursed us, I quickly jumped out of the car, darted to the nearest wood post, and did some knocking. K.H., however, did not. No more than five minutes later, this was the consequence.
Coincidence? I think not. If anything it is further proof of the flighty character of the universe. Obey the rules, and all shall be well. But hey, at least I got to learn how to change a tire. And no, I had never changed one prior.

On a positive note, my feet are better. But apparently some bugs held a party on my arm. All on the same area, nowhere else. What can I say, I'm obviously delicious. And I have a few bug bites on my middle finger, which has caused it to swell up past bending size. Not a little annoying (the "not a little" is a constant phrase from the book I'm reading, the phrase itself being not a little annoying. It always makes me have to stop and think, "oh you must mean a lot then").



Finally, I broke the tip of a bat's forefinger, the very last digit. I feel terrible about it, plus it made me sick to try and pull it out of the net, because the bone kept getting caught. It was the most tangled I'd ever seen a bat; it was in a brand spanking new net, so I was hesitant to cut it out. In the end, I accidentally broke a little bit of it's finger, put it into shock, and still ended up having to cut it out. I will never let that happen again. Hopefully it survived. I still get a little nauseous thinking about it.


Overall, a very interesting and yet not interesting week. More of the same, with a little bit of spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment