Friday, July 17, 2009

Freezing or Melting, depending

Last week Db and I helped the Northern Region (remember folks, we're in the Central Region), because they were very far behind. I think both of us realized our dysfunctional situation is way way better than theirs. Most of the nights it was almost freezing, two degrees Celsius. But at least we were actually catching bats. Most of the water sources were little springs used by cows, so the mud was really cow "mud". Delicious having to hammer stakes into "mud". Especially as it showers your face. NO licking! And then not showering for four days.

I haven't seen any new species of bat in a while. By "new" I mean species I haven't seen so far this summer.
*If you are not fluent in Western bat species, feel free to skip the remainder of this paragraph* We have seen (for those who know and care): Big Brown bats, Hoary Bats, Pallid Bats, Brazilian Free-tailed Bats, Silver-haired bats, Long-eared myotis, Long-legged myotis, Western small-footed myotis, Little Brown Bats, Townsend's Big-Eared Bats, and maybe a Yuma, but could not confirm. Eleven out of 18 is still pretty good. I keep wanting to see a Fringed Myotis, because I keep telling Db to check for a fringe on the Long-eared myotis (because this is a differentiating characteristic that is poorly stated in our sometimes sorry excuse for a dichotomous key). She does check for the fringe, but I think she is getting exasperated by me always asking about it. I think she starting to think I'm cuckoo. I'd also like to catch a Yuma, just to give myself a feel good that I'm properly identifying the Little Browns, etc. etc. etc. And of course a Western Red Bat, because only 12 or so have ever been caught in Utah, so it is the big prize.

*IF you skipped the above paragraph, you may resume reading here*
Other things of importance, but not important enough to qualify for more extensive discussion:
  1. I saw the new Harry Potter movie today. Oh how I miss teenage romance. It's so innocent and the most important thing in the world at that moment. Thank god some of my teenage dreams did not reach fruition!
  2. My car survived two weeks without maintenance!
  3. I am going to read Sherlock Holmes, the Hound of the Baskervilles, before An American Tragedy. Sorry Dad, but I just finished Great Expectations, I need a pick me up, and the first chapter of An American Tragedy already is very depressing. Plus, you know me. I have to read the book before the movie.
  4. Gas Monkey was super darling, by signing me up for the Colorado Bat Society and the Western Bat Working Group. Talk about romantic. Now if only they would give me a job . . .
  5. Looking for grad school opportunities at a Colorado university that focuses on mammals, biodiversity, and conservation. Bats preferred, but not necessary. Let me know if anybody knows of any.
  6. My attachment to Utah has moved up from dislike to indifferent. Who would have thought? Maybe it would increase if I were able to go to any of the famous places (except for Temple Square. I think I'd need a safety buddy for that)

No comments:

Post a Comment