Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Art Piece


As Spanky Bottoms so eloquently put it. She artfully said it was less of a ring and more of an art piece. And I think that is a good description. These pictures do not do it much justice. But I know a lot of you may never see it, or not for a long time.


Everything in this ring has meaning:

Red Simpel - the red stone symbolizes our love
Tsavorite - the green stone symbolizes our joint dedication to the environment (although it is smaller than our love)
The bat on the side - does not represent my love of bats. That would be silly. But it does represent Gas Monkey's acceptance and encouragement of my career plans, bats or not.
The texture on the side - Gas Monkey just thought it is cool. He took one of the pictures of bats I took in Mesa Verde (pallid or spotted), and blew it up, and took the texture off of one of the ears. So it is not obviously a bat ear, but it gives the ring more complexity.

It is pure white gold, and big enough to be a self-defense weapon (not intentional). What more does a girl need?

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I have enjoyed catching up with what has been going on with Gas Monkey's life. You two look so happy together!! From Gas Monkey's Cousin, Catina :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catina! I've heard a lot about you, and your daughters are adorable. I can't wait to meet you. Good luck on your future new arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI! Sweet ring! I just got married and we designed our rings to be eco friendly and themed around nature/stuff we care about, so i always get excited when i see other cool rings that actually mean something! Nice work, and that bat wing is an awesome touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Johnny. My fiance spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to put the bat wing in without making it obvious. You're the first person to be seriously excited about the design. I went to your blog and you have the life I aspire to, being a nomad, doing field work, and working with bats. Awesome. I'm very jealous.

    ReplyDelete