Sunday, September 20, 2009

Garage Cleaning and Old Friends

This past week has been quite hectic. First, our bid on the house was accepted, after some negotiating. Now we are both thinking, "What the hell did we just get into?" I'm sure every new homeowner goes through this mental process. The real crisis, how are we going to move out of this giant condo, and into a house with only 1,021 sq. feet? Any suggestions? Luckily, my crap is mostly furniture and books. Gas Monkey's crap . . . well, I'll be nice. I'll just understate the problem and say, he has some sorting to do. A lot of sorting. B came over and decided we should have a garage sale. A garage sale? I'm very excited and curious about this proposition. I've never had a garage sale, because my mother was more than willing to continuously throw away my toys and "precious things." Case in point. "Merut, do you use this." "Well mom, I might in the future." "Trash," as she would unforgivably throw my valuables into a large plastic bag. A little sad, but I have rarely had those moments in the future where I thought, "I wish I still had this or that." Thank you mom for heading off any hoarding habits head on (nice alliteration, I know you are thinking).
Ok, so garage sale. It took me five hours, maybe, to sort through my stuff and throw it away or put it in the for sale section. So now I volunteer helping B and Gas Monkey. I can only hope my own callousness towards my high school treasures and softball trophies and Egyptian books is an inspiration towards those two. I am keeping my first softball trophy, because I am still so damn proud of it, rightly so. The garage sale won't happen for a couple more weeks, since they still have plenty of work to do.

Last Friday I went to the Denver Zoo to see a presentation by my favorite CU professor, Professor C. He recently came back from 11 months in Vietnam studying the Tonkin Snub-nosed monkey, a highly endangered primate, among many in Vietnam. I was a little nervous about going, partly because I hadn't seen my professor in 2 or more years, as well as seeing the old Zoo Conservation biology folks again. It was like I had just showed up from the dead. All of the congratulations and excitement. I'm really glad I went. I need to set up coffee with my professor, because I really enjoy talking with him.

Recently my legs have been super bruised. It almost looks as if Gas Monkey has been beating me. But really, I just don't know how to walk. Going through the garage I scraped myself against some of the copper piping he had been storing for years, in order to "recycle." Needless to say, that copper is not in the garage anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment