Saturday, September 26, 2009

Friendly Competition


When it comes to Gas Monkey and I, there are many things he is better at than myself. He's more creative and imaginative (a little redundant but doubly true). He thinks he can do anything, and he is more patient (a useful quality when you think you can do anything). Well, today while Gas Monkey was sorting through his office junk, I, having already finished my laborious junk sorting last week, decided I was going to make a bag out of Gas Monkey's unwanted shirts. From the moment I decided to do this, to the end of my project, a whopping twenty minutes later, I had a new bag (the twenty minutes should be a clue as the quality, but hey it looks ok and is functional).


Gas Monkey has wanted to make bags out of shirts for a long time. Using myself as inspiration, he grabs a pair of unwanted jeans and a shirt he does not like. He starts cutting. "Don't you want to make some stencils or something?" I ask him, dubiously. He quips, "I know what I'm doing." Ok then. After he has hacked all his pants and shirt up, surprisingly, it is not going to work. After listening to my reasonable advice, he is now making himself a stencil out of trace-paper. He searched around for all the serious tools, a fancy ruler, a piece of board to cut on, trace paper; it's serious. I know he will be successful. He's definitely the kind of guy who will not be bested by some old fabric and a sewing machine. Quite admirable. The ironic thing however, is out of his two closets of shirts, he only has one he can sacrifice. And yet he forgot he had the whole other closet until last week. . .

The cats are always willing to help when there is fabric and string involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment