Monday, November 9, 2009

The Little Boy that Sleeps in the Crawl Space

Gas Monkey and I have been living at our new house for about two weeks, and we finally have internet. Phew. I'm so behind on updates, someday I'll pick up on what you've been missing. But for now, let me describe our "friend."

Our house was originally built in 1953. So it is almost 60 years old. Occasionally strange things happen. First, I used the garbage disposal, and something metal was in it. I had been using the dishwasher with no problems for about a week. I reached my hand in, grappled around and found a small screw. I threw the screw away. The next day, I turned on the garbage disposal, and something metal was in it again! So I reached my hand in, grappled around, and pulled out, yup you guessed it, a screw. I threw it away. The next day I woke up, and went into the kitchen to clean it up. I could not find the dishcloth. I briefly thought about looking in the hamper, but I knew that was giving Gas Monkey just a little too much credit. What would be the next logical place? I know! The garbage disposal. I gingerly looked down the drain, and surprise surprise, there was the dishcloth. (I realize I have a cat that likes to knock things off of counters and tables, but for the sake of novelty, we'll say it was a little "spooky." And as I wrote that last sentence, Corin knocked over an almost empty glass of milk on the counter, just to prove his point.)

Later that night, Gas Monkey and I filled the dishwasher (but left it off because it was not full) and then went outside. When we came back inside, the dishwasher was inexplicably on! Around this time I began calling any unexplained occurrence a result of the little boy that sleeps in the crawl space, since Gas Monkey found a toy horse below the house. So we blamed it on the little boy.

Finally, it was Halloween. I made my scarecrow, carved my pumpkin, and had my candy all ready by the front door. The doorbell rang. I sprang into action, opened the door, but there was no one there. What kind of brat prefers tricks to treats on Halloween? I mean
come on. Throughout the rest of the night, little kids would come, and every so often the doorbell would ring and nobody would be there. At first we both thought it was a doorbell ditcher. But it went on for five hours, and we never saw anybody running away. When we turned our light off because we were out of candy, the mysterious doorbell ditcher disappeared.

It has been a week since Halloween. The little boy that sleeps in the crawl space still doorbell ditches me every now and then. Other than that, lately he has been a very good little boy.

1 comment: