Thursday, August 13, 2009

How I Mistnet Bats

So, after a couple of failed attempts, Db and I managed to successfully videotape myself mistnetting a bat. Please keep in mind, we were using my little Cannon Powershot, which is not meant for this kind of thing. The sound issues are a result of my camera, with interference from the stream I am standing in. Also, it is dark, 10-11 p.m., so understandably we have issues with the lighting. I think you'll get the gist. Anyways, since I know most of you have never seen a bat being mistnetted, I'd thought I'd give you a little show. If you have ever mistnetted a bird, I hear it is a similar process.




I think the bat t-shirt is a nice, unintended touch. Also, why did I take out two bags?

Some things I need to clear up, because I was speaking from my head.

1. When I said he was "biting me", he was biting my gloves. Generally they cannot penetrate the gloves. However, Big Brown Bats (Eptesicus fuscus) have large, strong mouths, so I can still feel the bite (like a very hard pinch), which does not feel good, and always catches me off guard.
2. I did not mean to stereotype rodents, but it was an allegory I think people would understand. What I meant was that Big Brown Bats are a fairly common species. They are found anywhere from towns to the woods.

If you have any questions about mistnetting bats, or any refutes to my comments, feel free to post them. Also, I intend to offer some background information on Big Brown Bats, as well as my experiences with them at a future date.

No comments:

Post a Comment